Technical overview and glossary
General information and news elements
- "News" is published in Confluence in blogs.
- Creation of a news article is done by writing a blog post in Confluence.
- A variety of macros and functions then broadcast the news:
- ENB: Cover Stories
- ENB: Corporate News Feed
- ENB: Personal News Feed
- ENB: Mandatory Fews
- Confluence standard: Blog posts
|ENB||App name: Enterprise News Bundle|
|CNF||Macro name: Corporate News Feed|
|PNF||Macro name: Personal News Feed|
Editorial point of view
Types of news
- There are various senders: Leaders, corporate communications, departments, project/teams, ...
- There are various types of news:
- Top-down news from the company leaders
- Announcements from the employee representative group (workers' council)
- Press releases
- Location-based news
- Project news
Define the types of news published in your organization
Questions to ask
- Who are the authors of news articles?
- Which authors are allowed to create news articles in which news channels?
- Can news articles be created in all spaces? For example, department spaces.
- What pages should display news articles, and how should this be presented?
- Are there landing pages for specific groups, e.g. location, roles, language?
- Should users be able to personalize their news?
- If yes, which profile attributes should the personalization be based on?
Is there an approval process for publishing news?
Who can release the news items for publication?
- Should news items have an expiration and/or publication date?
Answer the questions above to clarify your organization's news concept
Spaces that will contain news articles
News can be published in any Confluence space. To keep track of it, and because of the permissions in Confluence, it makes sense to define some news-only spaces. You can, of course, use spaces where other pages are created. For each space, you can define whether news articles should go through a release process.
|(News) Space||Spae shortcut||Description||Release process?||Person(s) responsible (User/Group)|
|E.g. Corporate News||CN||News space for all corporate news|
Display of news articles
The news spaces and categories can be personalized in different ways on different pages. You can display news articles using Cover Stories, the Corporate News Feed, the slim Corporate News Feed, Mandatory News and the Personal News Feed.
Cover Stories configuration
|Layout||Embedded in page|
|Cover Stories - 4x4||Dashboard|
|Tile||Source||Space / Category / Article||Keyword(s)|
|Tile 1||Personalized news categories||Location||-|
|Tile 2||Space-label combination|
Space: Corporate News
|Layout||Eingebunden auf Seite|
|Cover Stories - 2x2||tba|
|Tile||Source||Space / Category / Article||Stichwort(e)|
Corporate News Feed
The Corporate News Feed is a chronological display of news articles. A Corporate News Feed can be contain news articles from a news category or a space-label combination. You can display the Corporate News Feed with either a normal or a compact design.
Corporate News Feed configuration
|Embedded on page||News configuration||Source||Keyword(s)||Display||Number of news articles||Open link in new window?|
|E.g. Dashboard||News categories / space-label combination||E.g. Corporate News||Normal / CompaCt|
Personal news feed
Especially useful in intranets where news is published in many different spaces. Every user can subscribe to the spaces relevant to them, and create their own aggregated personal news feed. The author/editor of a page can only define the position of the news feed within the page, and the number of items, not the news feed's content.
|Embed on page||Number of items||Link opens in a new window|
A news message that is displayed to every user when they login. The spaces that will publish mandatory news, and the authors allowed to create mandatory news items must be explicitly defined.
|Space||Author permitted to create mandatory news items|