- Created by Administrator, last modified on Feb 25, 2020
See the documentation for your Release
Important information regarding the use of Space Privacy - Extranet for Confluence
- If you use some kind of user directory (OpenLDAP, ActiveDirectory), make sure you use "Read only, with local groups" or "Read/Write" in the Permission Settings. If set to "Read only" the Space Privacy Plugin can't work properly for now.
- Groups that are created with the Space Privacy - Extranet for Confluence Plugin should not be deleted.
- Users have to be indicated once, if you want to assign them to an extranet space
- When deleting Extranet users, the linked Confluence user remains, but is set inactive.
- Not all macros are supported by the Space Privacy Plugin -> List of currently supported macros
- Some function are disabled by Space Privacy Plugin -> List of disabled functions
If you first use Space Privacy with an evaluation key and then want to register a full licence key from marketplace, you will have to deactivate the plugin and activate it again to make sure that the plugin works correctly.
- If the creation or conversion does not work, you may check if every user directory is available. The Space Privacy Plugin uses a Confluence mechanism, which requires a valid connection to all user directories. As a workaround you may disable the broken user directory temporarily.
- If you use your Confluence instance as Extranet and Intranet, internal users may not see each other when working in visibility configuration "Global and Space Administrators and Extranet User Managers". This is a known issue and will be fixed in later releases, but there's a workaround for now. See Internal users should see each other in restricted mode
Compatibility with Confluence
Installation & Licensing
The Space Privacy - Extranet for Confluence is a type 2 add-on, please note Atlassian's installation information:
Installation steps via Universal Plugin Manager
- Sign on to your Confluence as admin
- Open the admin menu and select Atlassian Marketplace. The page "Search new add-ons" will load
- Search for Space Privacy - Extranet for Confluence in the Marketplace. The matching version of the add-on will be displayed in results.
- Click on Free Trial to install a trial version or click on Buy now to purchase a license for the Space Privacy - Extranet for Confluence. You will be asked to register at MyAtlassian. Space Privacy - Extranet for Confluence will be downloaded and automatically installed.
In the Space Privacy Extranet Configuration you can define some important settings that will effect all extranet spaces you create.
Scroll down to see details of every setting.
There are two tabs containing "General Configration" and "User Roles"
Who can see and find users that are not assigned to an extranet?
You can choose wether users who are not assigned to an extranet should be visible for other users or not. By selecting "Global and Space Administrators and Extranet User Managers" only those user types have access to all users. In this case Extranet users can only see Extranet users who have access to the same extranet spaces.
By selecting "All users" they can see users who are not part of an extranet space, e.g. internal employes.
Which admin roles should be available
You can define if Extranet Space Manager and Extranet User Manager are available to assign to an extranet space.
Only the selected admin roles will be displayed in "Create Extranet Space" window and in the Extranet Space tools.
Extranet Space Managers are able to assign users and groups and also have space administration rights.
Extranet User Managers can only assign users (no groups) to an extranet space. They don't have any rights to administer the space itself.
Initial User Permissions
It is possible to decide which initial permissions should be available in extranet spaces for extranet users. For now it is not available to set custom roles.
Disable Initial User Roles
You can disable certain User Roles by unselecting the "Enabled" checkbox
New in 1.1: Edit Initial User Permissions
You may add or remove certain permission given to an initial extranet role
Assign User with initial roles
Above you can see which groups are built by creating an extranet space. There is a group for each initial permissions role.
In the Space tools you can assign users with the initial roles you set up in the Admin Configuration.
Extranet users are limited users
Extranet users are limited within their extranet space and can not share content outside of the space. In addition, extranet users can only interact with other extranet users (i.e. via search) if they are part of the same extranet space.
If you want the Space Privacy plugin to support other third-party plugins, you may consider a Sponsored development to support this feature. Feel free to contact us!
The following functions are taken into account by the Space Privacy for Confluence
- Full search & quick search
- User directory
- Accessing a user profile via the browser
- Sharing function
List of all currently supported macros
- Activity Stream
- Blog Post
- Content by label
- Content by user
- Contributers Summary
- Global Reports
- Live Search
- Recently Updated Dashboard
- Recently Updated
- Task Report
- User Profile
- User list
- Labels List
- Popular Labels
- Profile picture
- Recently Used Labels
- Related Labels
- Search results
- Custom User Profiles
- Individual User List
- Individual User Search
- Team Calendars
Manual supported plugins:
To secure these plugins you need to setup custom filters (Custom Filters 1.3)
The following functions / plugins are disabled by the Space Privacy for Confluence
- Confluence Onboarding Plugin (Welcome Action)
- Label summary
- Please note that some restriction affect all users on the system (not only extranet users)
Workaround: Internal users should see each other in restricted mode
Let intranet users see each other
If you use your Confluence instance as Extranet and Intranet, internal users may not see each other when working in visibility configuration "Global and Space Administrators and Extranet User Managers". In order to fix this, please do as follows:
- There must be a group, where all internal users are in (but no extranet users). In most cases this is the "confluence-users" group.
- Create a "dummy" extranet space (e.g. called "Intranet")
- Add the group with internal users as extranet members (e.g. Watcher) to the created extranet
By doing this, the Space Privacy Plugin assumes the internal users relate to the same extranet and therefore are visible to each other. We have the implementation of an easier way for this use case on our roadmap. If you are interested in a Sponsored Development for this feature, please contact us.
User list message "Indexing user..." never disappears
When you add or delete users in the extranet user list, the plugin blocks the view until all users are saved in the database and updated in the confluence search index. Depending on the number of users that were added or delete, the message "Indexing Users..." may be displayed a little longer (about 5-10 Seconds per 100 users).
If the message is displayed significantly longer, it is possible that an error occurred. Usually the following steps help to resolve this issue:
- Reload the page
- Rebuild the confluence search index (Confluence Administration > Content Indexing)
- Deactivate and activate the plugin (this is no magic, we actually run some heath checks when the plugin is activated)
If none of the steps fixes the problem, please submit an issue (https://seibert.biz/pluginhelp) and add application logs to help us analysing the cause of the problem:
- Set the log level for the key net.seibertmedia.extranet to DEBUG (Confluence Administration > Logging and Profiling)
- Open the hung up user list again, to generate meaningful logs
- Copy the application logs, if your have access, or generate a Support-ZIP (Confluence Administration > Support Tools / Atlassian Documentation)
- Submit an issue here and attach the application logs: https://seibert.biz/pluginhelp
- No labels
This content was last updated on 02/25/2020.
This content hasn't been updated in a while. That doesn't have to be a problem. Some of our pages live for years without becoming obsolete. Please click this link if you want us to update this page. Old content can be incorrect, misleading or outdated. Please get in contact with us via a form on this page, our live chat or via email with firstname.lastname@example.org if you are in doubt, have a question, suggestion, or want changes from us.