Snapshots within the customer system
Customer systems use ZFS as a file system. Here, snapshots of the application data and the database on block-level are generated hourly.
By default, these snapshots are kept for the following periods:
- 7-day snapshots
- 2-week snapshots
Local snapshots of this kind do not help in the event of total system failure. Still, they do protect against short-term corruption of data, which can occur, for example, if projects or areas are accidentally deleted or changed.
Backups on outsourced data center
The backups are made to an outsourced data center at the provider Hetzner:
- Here the application data and the database are backed up (binary format, no dump).
- A local ZFS snapshot of the customer's system serves as a data source to create a consistent backup.
- There is a daily backup. By default, these backups are kept for the following periods:
- 7-day backups
- 4-week backups
- 3-month backups
- In the case of total system failure, these backups can be restored.
- Our backups are tested every 60 days through recovery tests, whereby different failure and recovery scenarios are carried out.
- The physical separation ensures a further reduction of risks (e.g., natural disasters), but European data protection guidelines are still being observed.
More about operation packages: