- Created by //SEIBERT/MEDIA employee, last modified on Feb 12, 2021
Atlassian Update 2020: Atlassian will phase out its Server products
Atlassian has officially announced, that they will completely discontinue the "Server" product line by 02.02.2024 for most products (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket). The phasing out process will start as of 02.02.2021 where the first changes will be effective. On this page and the subpages linked on the right, you will find all important information to get a first look at the upcoming changes. We are also happy to offer you the opportunity to register via the following link to contact us for information regarding your situation and how the changes will affect you:
Book a free consultation with us
Consultation is free of charge and non-binding for both existing and prospective customers
A quick overview
Atlassian is a listed company and the stock market loves subscription products (see Netflix, Salesforce, Microsoft Office 365, Google Workspace, ...). However, Atlassian Server is not a subscription product, so Atlassian will force these customers to switch to the on-premise model "Data Center" or to the Atlassian Cloud for a period of more than 3 years. From February 2021 onwards, no new server licenses can be purchased! We therefore strongly advise you, regardless of whether you are already a customer with us or not, to arrange a consulting appointment with us.
2024 may seem far away but you should already start thinking about the upcoming changes. The pricing models will also reflect an increase so it's in your best interest to take advantage of the current pricing. We will be more than happy to find the right solution for your company.
What major changes have been announced?
For all Server products
As of 02.02.2021, you will no longer be able to purchase new licenses for Atlassian server products. Those who still purchase a license until then or already own one can continue to run their Atlassian instances (Confluence, Jira, Bitbucket, etc.) until 02.02.2024 without problems.
Of course, Atlassian guarantees maintenance and support during this period, but there will be no further development of the platform (e.g. updates). Additionally, the prices for the Server products will be increased to ensure a smooth migration to the Atlassian cloud.
For data center products
Apart from the announced price increases, nothing will change for existing data center customers. For existing server customers who are willing to switch, the data center option is the one with the lowest migration hassle: you only need to install the new data center licenses. The data center platform will continue to be actively developed in the coming years, and better integration options with the cloud products will also be created.
- Server licenses for Fisheye and Crucible can still be purchased.
- Server licenses for Bamboo can still be purchased, but a data center version of Bamboo is under development. It is expected that Bamboo Server customers will need to migrate to data center in the near future.
Why are these changes taking place?
Atlassian ultimately wants to whittle down its product line. From complying with the latest privacy and security regulations to providing a new development platform and many user interface improvements, Atlassian has invested heavily in cloud versions of its products in recent years. Today, 90% of all new Atlassian customers start with cloud products.
By focusing on cloud and data center products, Atlassian expects to be able to respond even better and faster to the changing needs of its customers.
What does End of Sale and End of Support mean?
For your server products
As of 02.02.2021, no new licenses for Atlassian Server products will be sold. If you have an existing server license, you have a three year timeframe and the choice of moving to the cloud, migrating to data centers. You can also continue using your server products but without support. During this time, Atlassian will provide you with tools and resources (if you need them) to make the transition seamless.
Support (database, browser, Java) and troubleshooting for Server products will continue to be available between February 2nd, 2021 and February 2nd, 2022. After 02.02.2022, however, Atlassian will only provide security bug fixes for critical vulnerabilities until the end of support in 2024.
On 02.02.2024, support for server products will finally be completely discontinued. No further product updates will be released after this date. However, regular security updates will help to protect your business from threat. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you move to the cloud or upgrade to data center before the end of support date 2024.
For your server apps
From 01.05.2021 on, no new server apps will be accepted for the Atlassian Marketplace. That means as of that point, you will no longer be able to benefit from exciting new features in terms of extensions and add-ons either. Existing apps can still be purchased by existing Server customers until 02.02.2023. Last year's renewals of apps will be pro-rated until the end date 02.02.2024 according to the end date of support for your server product(s).
Which products does End of Sale and End of Support apply to?
End of Sale and End of Support applies to:
- Jira Software Server
- Jira Core Server
- Jira Service Desk Server
- Confluence Server
- Bitbucket Server
- Crowd Server
- Bamboo Server
- Atlassian-built apps*
- Atlassian Marketplace Partner Server apps*
* Please note that the final date for purchasing apps depends on a number of factors including whether you are a new or existing customer, if the app was created by Atlassian or a Marketplace Partner, and whether the app will be included in a data center subscription. Here is a schedule of the changes and when they will take effect.
- You can still purchase new licenses for Fisheye and Crucible, which remain in a maintenance mode.
- Server licenses for Bamboo can still be purchased, but a data center version of Bamboo is being worked on. It is expected that Bamboo Server customers will also need to migrate to data center in the near future.
Are server products being developed or maintained?
Between 02.02.2021 and 02.02.2022, you will still be able to receive support (database, browser, Java) and bug fixes for Server products. After 02.02.2022, however, there will only be security bug fixes for critical vulnerabilities until the end of the support period on 02.02.2024. After this date, server products will reach the end of support and no further product updates will be released.
What options are available?
Migration to the cloud (recommended)
By migrating to the cloud, you can cut costs, reduce the risk of downtime and security issues, and focus on innovation rather than maintenance. Get in touch with us!
Migration to data center
For server customers who cannot or do not want to switch to the cloud, we recommend migration to data center.
Continue to stay on an instance with Server
Use the next three years (until support expires in 2024) to work together with us to develop a migration plan to the cloud or data center. You can use the next three years, until server support finally expires in 2024, to work with us to develop a migration plan to the cloud or data center.
When does the sale of new Server licenses end?
From 02.02.2021 on, you will no longer be able to buy new Server products or request a quote for a new Server product. This does not apply to offers that are still valid and that you have received, or will receive from us shortly.
When is the cut-off date for upgrades/downgrades of user tiers?
For starter licenses (10 users)
An upgrade of a starter license is considered a new purchase. This means that from 02.02.2021 onward (end of sale of new licenses) you can no longer upgrade your Server Starter License. After this date, an upgrade is only possible by switching either to the cloud or to data center.
Non-starter licenses (> 10 users)
As of 02.02.2022, it will no longer be possible to perform upgrades or downgrades (of the user tier) for Server products or apps. After this date, upgrades or downgrades are only possible by moving either to the cloud or to data center.
- You can still perform upgrades/downgrades for Fisheye and Crucible.
- Until Bamboo for data center is released, you can continue to upgrade or downgrade Bamboo Server. After Bamboo for data center is released, this will no longer be possible.
When does the support for the affected products and apps end
Support for the affected server products and apps ends on 02.02.2024. After that date...
- ...server support cannot be extended.
- ...Atlassian and Marketplace partners will no longer provide technical support for issues, security updates or bug fixes for critical issues.
Atlassian strongly recommends that you move to the cloud or data center before this date.
What happens to the Atlassian apps that become part of data center?
As part of the price increase, data center customers will receive the following Atlassian developed apps as part of their base license:
- Jira Software data center: Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Portfolio for Jira)
- Confluence data center: Team Calendars for Confluence, Analytics for Confluence
- Jira Service Desk data center: Insight - Asset Management and Insight Discovery
After 02.02.2021 the above mentioned apps can no longer be purchased for servers and can only be used by customers with a valid data center or cloud license. This does not apply to offers that are still valid and which you have already received, or will receive from us shortly.
Can I still get priority support for servers?
Yes, you can extend and use your Priority Support until the end of the Server Support on 02.02.2024.
How will the changes affect customers with a Server Starter License?
Upgrade of your user tier
If you want to upgrade a Server Starter License to a higher tier, you must do so before 02.02.2021. After this date, an upgrade will only possible by moving to the cloud or data center.
You will have access to maintenance and support from the Atlassian Community until 02.02.2024
Atlassian recommends customers with a starter license to move to the cloud. The free cloud Migration Assistants will support you in this process.
Can I get a refund for a recently purchased server license and move do the cloud?
Yes, you can request a refund or exchange of a server license up to 30 days after the original purchase date. After the 30-day period, exchanges or refunds are no longer available.
Please contact us to request a refund or exchange within 30 days of the purchase date.
Will Fisheye and Crucible continue to be sold?
Yes, you can still purchase new licenses for Fisheye and Crucible or extend existing licenses. These products are in maintenance mode, which means that Atlassian will no longer develop new features. Customers with a valid license will continue to receive technical support and updates focusing on security and bug fixes.
What does the future of data center look like?
Even with three years to prepare, not every customer will be ready to make the switch from server products to cloud products. Some customers also have business requirements that prevent them in general from switching to the cloud.
For these customers, the self-managed Enterprise Edition "Atlassian data center" will continue to be available. Also, there will be new features and integrations that make it easier to share cloud and data center products. This will include things like unified administration for areas such as user management.
Additionally, Atlassian data center products will be enhanced by making some of the most powerful apps natively available and by providing priority support for data center subscriptions for almost all user tiers. To enable these innovations, data center subscription prices will be increased on February 2, 2021.
What improvements are being made to data center?
Data center is the product for all those companies that cannot move to the cloud due to corporate policies or legal requirements.
The key areas in which investments will be increased in the future include:
- Cloud integrations: Atlassian is developing the integrations necessary to make it easier to share the cloud and data center and to build a bridge to the cloud for customers.
- New native features: To meet the demand for better collaboration and greater insight, some of the most powerful apps for data center subscriptions will be available in basic software starting February 2, 2021. This will include:
- Jira Software Data Center: Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Portfolio for Jira)
- Confluence Data Center: Team Calendars for Confluence and Analytics for Confluence
- Jira Service Desk Data Center: Insight - Asset Management and Insight Discovery
- Priority Support: Beginning February 2, 2021, Priority Support will be available for data center subscriptions from Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, Confluence and Crowd as well as Bitbucket with a user tier of 500 or more.
- Bamboo Data Center: Bamboo Data Center is also planned to be launched in the near future. As soon as details become available, we will notify our current Bamboo Server customers.
A roadmap for enterprise products and more information will be available soon on the Atlassian website.
When will Bamboo Data Center be available?
Atlassian plans to make Bamboo available as a data center version. As soon as details become available, we will actively notify current Bamboo Server customers.
Bamboo Server customers are free to maintain their existing installation, wait for the data center product or migrate to Bitbucket Pipelines. As a partner, we are not able to provide pricing information at this time, but we will inform you as soon as we have all the information here.
Bamboo Data Center will work with both Bitbucket Data Center and Bitbucket Cloud if you need an on-premise CI/CD solution. For more details on how to connect Bamboo and Bitbucket Cloud, please refer to the Atlassian documentation.
Should you consider switching to a cloud-based CI/CD product, Bitbucket Pipelines is available as a native Cloud CI/CD product.
The advantages of data center
As well as the new features and support on offer, Atlassian Data Center products enable you to achieve scalable and fail-safe realignment of your systems to state-of-the-art standards.
Data Center products offer solutions for:
- Compliance and security
- Advanced user management
- Infrastructure and operation
- Data and Insights
- Scaling, performance and availability
Data Center is available for Jira Software, Confluence, Bitbucket, Jira Service Desk, Crowd and soon Bamboo.
Data center places higher demands on the infrastructure. Is there an easier way?
Yes, there is: In a [single-node operation], you can benefit from new data center functionalities because the products are operated with the same architecture that you use and probably already appreciate for classic server systems. Additional data center infrastructure components such as multiple nodes, the load balancer or a shared file system are not a must!
How will the new apps and functions be distributed?
Starting February 2nd, 2021, the following Atlassian apps and features will be included in the data center subscriptions:
- Jira Software Data Center: Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Portfolio for Jira)
- Confluence Data Center: Team Calendars for Confluence and Analytics for Confluence
- Jira Service Desk Data Center: Insight - Asset Management and Insight Discovery
To enable these functions, please read the following:
- Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Portfolio for Jira): An upgrade for Jira Software Data Center will be available as of 02.02.2021 If you want to stay with the previous version, you can alternatively install a compatible version of the app from the Marketplace at no additional cost.
- Team Calendars for Confluence: An upgrade for Confluence Data Center will be available from 02.02.2021. If you want to stay with the current version, you can alternatively install a compatible version of the app from the Marketplace at no additional cost.
- Analytics for Confluence: To use this feature, you need to upgrade to a new version of Confluence Data Center, which will be available from 02.02.2021 onwards.
- Insight - Asset Management: A compatible version of the app will be available in the Marketplace as of 02.02.2021 and can be installed at no additional cost. As soon as the functionality will be integrated in a new version, we will inform you.
- Insight Discovery: As of 02.02.2021, a compatible version of the app will be available in the Marketplace, which can be installed at no additional cost. We will inform you as soon as the functionality is integrated in a new version.
If you already own licenses for one or more of these apps, you will not have to pay for them after February 2, 2021.
Will Atlassian introduce user levels for Jira Software or Confluence Data Center below the current 500 user tier?
There are currently no plans to introduce lower user tiers for Jira Software or Confluence Data Center.
What are the benefits of the Atlassian Cloud?
With Atlassian Cloud as a Software-as-a-Service, your company's systems will be noticeably relieved. This is because hosting and operation of the applications is done directly by Atlassian. The administrative effort is reduced and your teams can concentrate fully on their work. The user interface is particularly easy to use and the applications are always up-to-date.
Follow the link to take a look at the benefits of Atlassian Cloud.
What are some new features and innovations in the cloud?
In recent years, Atlassian has made significant investments in security, extensibility, scalability and product scope to meet the latest customer requirements. Atlassian itself has recently released a small selection of tangible improvements. If you want to learn more about the planned roadmap in the cloud, you can read more here.
How will the server end of sale affect apps?
As of 02.02.2021, server customers will no longer be able to purchase any of the apps included in the data center products.
All other apps in the Marketplace can still be purchased and renewed by Server customers until 02.02.2023. Current app renewals will be prorated to 02.02.2024 to match the end of support date of the Server products.
Can I request a refund on a recently purchased Server App?
We can request a refund or exchange of your Server App licenses up to 30 days after the original purchase date. After the 30-day period, both an exchange and a refund are no longer possible.
Can data center customers use server applications?
If a server app is available in a data center-app approved version, you must purchase a data center license to continue using it.
If a data center version is not available, you can still use the server version of the app. However, there is some risk involved because the application has not undergone architecture testing or performance testing to ensure that it is scalable in a data center environment.
Are current apps available in the cloud?
Last year, over 440 new cloud apps were launched on Atlassian Marketplace and more are being added every day. Atlassian continues to work with partners to bring both existing server apps and new and exclusive applications to the Cloud.
This page contains a list of Marketplace apps that are compatible with servers, data centers and the cloud. It also includes documentation on feature differences between the apps and describes migration paths from server or data center to cloud.
If a server application is not yet available for the cloud, it is worth asking the respective manufacturer via their support desk whether they are working on a cloud version. We can gladly take care of this for you.
How can I evaluate which applications are needed in the cloud?
Jira and Confluence have a free Cloud Migration Assistant to help you prepare and migrate to the cloud.
The integrated evaluation function provides information on the following points:
- Overview of the current usage of the apps.
- Determine if critical applications are available in the cloud.
- Deciding which apps you should keep or discard and which are worth further investigation.
Go to the following link to find out more about migration to the cloud and the role of the apps in this process.
What happens to my apps when I switch to Data Center?
When moving from Server to Data Center, you will need to switch to subscriptions to Data Center apps, if a Data Center version of the app is available. Data Center apps go through a rigorous review process, which is monitored by Atlassian. This process is designed to ensure that the apps perform to a standard appropriate for data center products.
For more information, please visit Atlassian's Data Center Apps FAQ page.
PURCHASE & LICENSING
Are there discounts or special offers for migration to the cloud?
Atlassian offers a range of offers, incentives and support to help make the move to the cloud easier for you.
For all customers:
- The Atlassian Migration Program (AMP): AMP provides resources, tools, offerings and support to guide you through all steps of a migration to the cloud.
- Free cloud migration trials: To reduce the costs associated with a migration or upgrade, Atlassian offers free extended cloud trial licenses to give you more time to experience the cloud.
- Cloud roadmap: Here you can find all information regarding Atlassian's Cloud Roadmap.
- Cloud Trust Center: Find answers to all your questions about security, privacy, reliability and compliance in the Atlassian Cloud.
- Atlassian has introduced several cloud variants for Jira and Confluence: Free, Premium and Enterprise.
This allows both small and large customers to benefit from the innovation and speed of the cloud. There are also different variants for Bitbucket, so customers get exactly what they need.
For Enterprise customers
Cloud loyalty discount: Enterprise customers moving to the cloud may be eligible for an additional discount.
Academic, Community and Open Source customers
Cloud Academic and Community Awards: Atlassian offers special pricing for academic and community customers in the cloud.
Free Cloud Open Source subscriptions: Atlassian Cloud is free for open source projects.
Customers in Government
Government resources: Customers in the governmental sector have access to specialized resources and support.
What will Academic, Community and Open Source customers have access to?
As of 02.02.2021, Atlassian will no longer offer new Atlassian Academic, Community or Open Source Server licenses. Existing server customers will have access to maintenance and support for an additional three years until Feb. 2, 2024.
Atlassian will offer discounted pricing to qualified organizations for both cloud and data center environments.
Academic (Cloud or Data Center)
- Atlassian offers Academic Cloud Subscriptions at reduced prices as well as free Atlassian access for academic institutions.
- Atlassian will continue to offer subscriptions for Academic Data Center .
- Atlassian offers Community Cloud Subscriptions at reduced prices and free Atlassian access for charitable organizations.
Open Source (Cloud)
- Atlassian offers all products to the Open Source community for free.
What happens to unexpired trial licences?
As of 02.02.2021 the following will no longer possible:
- Generation of new evaluation licenses for server products.
- Purchase of a new server license.
- Conversion of an evaluation license to a first license.
If you want to purchase a new license for server products, you must do so before the mentioned deadline.
What happens if I already have Priority Support?
For Server Customers
Existing server customers who pay for priority support beyond 02.02.2021 will of course still have access.
For Data Center Customers
Beginning February 2nd, 2021, Priority Support will be included in data center subscriptions for Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, Confluence and Crowd Data Center and Bitbucket Data Center for customers with 500 or more users.
If you already have Priority Support, you will not have to pay for it after February 2nd, 2021.
How can I compare the current costs of a self-managed (server / data center) variant with the cloud?
Atlassian's Cloud Value Calculator will help you uncover the hidden costs of your self-managed option and show you how you can reduce the IT resources you need by moving to the cloud.
How can I compare server and data center costs?
To compare the total cost of ownership between server and data center, Atlassian has created a Data Center Guide.
This guide takes you through key issues such as perpetual server licenses versus data center subscriptions and how future pricing changes could affect your decision.
Atlassian Data Center
Information, Advantages and Functions
Atlassian Server vs Data Center
A comparison of both deployment options
Single Node Data Center
Access to Atlassian Data Center functions without the complex infrastructure.
The convenient SaaS solution for your Atlassian applications
Cloud or Data Center
Which option is the right one for your company?
Shortlink to this page: https://seibert.biz/endofserver2020 | This page is available in German: https://seibert.biz/serverende2020
- No labels
This content was last updated on 02/12/2021.
This content hasn't been updated in a while. That doesn't have to be a problem. Some of our pages live for years without becoming obsolete. Please click this link if you want us to update this page. Old content can be incorrect, misleading or outdated. Please get in contact with us via a form on this page, our live chat or via email with firstname.lastname@example.org if you are in doubt, have a question, suggestion, or want changes from us.